Music Critique Guidelines
1. Read Ch 12 “Style and Function of Music in Society” especially about the classification of music: Cultivated versus Vernacular
2. Read Ch 14 “Putting Music into Words” which gives you ideas on how to write about music.
3. Choose 1 cultivated performance and 1 vernacular performance from the list below. If any video has been removed from YouTube, please search for a replacement and email the URL link. Make sure that the replacement is a full-length LIVE concert with approximately 15 songs – preferably HD quality. If there’s a music group not on this list that you would like to use, email it to me for consideration.
CULTIVATED OPTIONS: Choral (Requiem by Mozart) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa4o_nutl14
Choral (contemporary – Eric Whitacre) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JaiSGAZfW4
chamber music – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZWKUszkbXU
violin concerto (Mozart) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuk2q_41W_A
piano concerto (Chopin) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt54VEfStX0
symphony (Beethoven) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOjHhS5MtvA
symphony (Shostakovich) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSJwP5dvzPg
piano recital : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx4oKJfIxT8
violin concerto (Tchaikovsky): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJZeNlrYKg&t=1717s
ballet (Swan Lake): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJoB7y6Ncs&feature=youtu.be&list=RD9rJoB7y6Ncs
violin concertos (Vivaldi – 4 Seasons) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzE-kVadtNw
opera/musical – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo8CmwIKiDw
VERNACULAR OPTIONS: Gospel – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNDRlRoVXmg
Big band – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVh6yeCTKm4
Jazz combo (Chick Corea) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klZDJmV6MVg
American folk piano – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=717v1CS_zJo
Beatles – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brwmLjD-3Hw
Rap (80’s) RunDMC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHlrrHvPt78
Rock – progressive/Alternative (Pearl Jam) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmeZ3kOgIOE
Metallica S & M: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is2ZrBkZE0o
celtic (Solas) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frE2nyYll0k
Rap – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9KRG5KYYa8
Country – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoKVZxxTF0E
Allman Brothers Band – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuRYl1oWTCk
Inspiration – Hillsong United: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1IQ54bj8ok
Coldplay – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e42x6z1I9t4
Ray Charles – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwQ1Uf8R0wI
Imagine Dragons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39A6EO7oPWo
Lady Gaga https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DHPuMu1Qug
Billie Eilish https://youtu.be/lpKE6yBw2Os 4. View each performance and take notes on what you see, hear, and experience. Use Ch 14 “Putting Music into Words” as a guide. Gather as much detail on the music as possible, especially connecting specific timings (3’44” – Using 3’44” only as an example on how to quote a timing from a video: 3′ = 3 minutes, 44″ = 44 seconds, 3’44” = 3 minutes 44 seconds) to the elements of the music that you highlight. Strive to make connections between the cultivated side of music and vernacular. Both of these types of music are relevant and cherished by mankind. Why is that?
Is it possible to appreciate both cultivated and vernacular music?
After viewing the performances and contemplating their significance, formulate a thesis statement that shows a relationship between cultivated and vernacular music. Your THESIS must make a STATEMENT that unites cultivated and vernacular music in some way, in spite of their obvious differences. Thesis statement should include both the identification of a shared musical element and an opposing-contrasting musical element.
5. Support your thesis statement by the following 3 points of comparison:
a. Presentation style. Give a detailed description of all aspects of presentation. What type of atmosphere was created at each performance? How did the creation of atmosphere shape your expectation and response to the music? Describe the quality of performance, including energy level, technical ability, and professionalism.
b. Music mechanics. Highlight 3 musical elements from each concert (totaling 6 musical elements) and include the specific TITLE of the pieces/songs described. Describe in detail aspects of the music that stood out to you, linking musical elements to timings (3’44”) from the concert videos. There should be a total of 6 timings associated with 6 musical elements. Address musical elements such as form, genre, style, rhythm, dynamics, melody, instrumentation, tempo, and mood.
c. Personal response. How did the music affect you? Excitement, relaxation, laughter, tears?
6. Type the critique in Microsoft Word:
* Save it as JohnDoemusiccritique.doc (please put your name in the saved title, and only use John Doe if that’s your real name).
* Double space using 12pts font
* 1 inch margins all around
* Minimum length: 3 & 1/4 pages totaling 1,100 words. The music critique should be a minimum of 3 & 1/4 pages totaling 1,100 words, with a large reduction of points resulting for anything less than 3 & 1/4 pages totaling 1,100 words.
* Do not put your name, title, date, or course name in the critique as a header. There should be no need to cite research, and you should use the pronoun “I”, as the critique will be based on your unique musical perspective.
* Indent paragraphs and write in full sentences with correct grammar, verb agreement, and spelling.
* Sentences should follow in logical sequence.
* The critique should begin with an introduction paragraph (which includes your thesis statement and states both your cultivated & vernacular video choices), a “body” of at least 3 paragraphs, and ends with a conclusion paragraph that relates back to the thesis and demonstrates how the body of the critique fulfilled the thesis.
* CHECK yourself for PLAGIARISM: After submitting your music critique (final publish) – view the ORIGINALITY REPORT. Plagiarism will result in a grade of 0. If you are re-taking this course, you must have permission from the instructor to use re-use work you have previously submitted.
7. Submit your Music Critique to the D2L Assignments / Music Critique Final publish.